In This Post I Am Going To Tell You A Simple Method to take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB. With the release of TWRP v3.1.0, you can now take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB. Previously the feature to take TWRP backup was limited to systemwide or only for the device but with the recent release you can take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB. TWRP updates their recovery to v3.1.0 featuring ADB backup, A/B OTA zip, Android 7.1.1 Support and more. If you’ve run out of space on your phone, then you can use the simple ADB command to take TWRP Backup or Nandroid Backup directly to PC.
TWRP backups can save your device if you mess up your Android device. It helps you recover all your data in case of bootloop or any other wrong flashing. If you are more into flashing new ROMs or Kernels then taking a TWRP backup is must and recommended by every ROM developers. With the previous version of TWRP you can take system image backup and save it on your device or save that backup in PC in case need to wipe its storage, but with TWRP 3.1.0, you can take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB.
To create an ADB backup using TWRP recovery all you need to install the latest version of TWRP v3.1.0, and ADB and Fastboot drivers. If you don’t know, ADB is a command line tool that’s communicate your Android device with a computer. With ADB, you can control your device from the computer via USB, transfer files and run powerful shell commands. Follow the below guide to take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB.
How to take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB
- First enable ‘USB debugging’ from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
- Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Now create a new folder on your PC, where you want to save the TWRP backup files.
- Open the command window by pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
- In the command window type the following command to create TWRP backup.
adb backup --twrp
- The above command will bring up the GUI and allow you to choose partitions from the backup page.
- Or you can also take backup of particular options with below command
adb backup -f <filename> --twrp <options>
- where options are
--compress: compress data system: backup system cache: backup cache data: backup data boot: backup boot etc for each partition.
- You can also string multiple options like
adb backup -f <filename> --twrp --compress cache system data
- After choosing any above option to take TWRP Backup on PC/Laptop, wait until process finishes.
- Once the process completes, disconnect your device from the PC.
If you do not specify the filename with the -f option, adb will backup your data to a filename backup.ab on the client.
How to Restore TWRP backup from PC via ADB
- To Restore TWRP Backup via ADB, Open a command window inside the folder where you saved the TWRP backup on your PC.
- Now reboot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable.
- Use the below command to Restore TWRP Backup via ADB.
adb restore <filename> or adb restore backup.ab
- Done. The above command will restore TWRP/Nandroid backup from your PC.
This the easiest way to take TWRP Backup directly to PC via ADB and Restore the TWRP back from PC. Have any questions? Do let us know that in the comments below.
I Am a Tech, Gadget And SEO freak and loves writing about Android, SEO Tips, And Other Tricks. My favorite past time is playing video games, Writing Post And Answering On Quora.